-->

300+ Best Forgiveness Quotes

I could see that it was God's forgiveness and His mercy that I needed, and that was provided through Christ on the Cross for those who will receive Him as Lord and Savior. That is how I came to Christ. Kirk Cameron

The first step in forgiveness is the willingness to forgive. Marianne Williamson

The films of which I'm most proud I've written are the ones that pivot on forgiveness. Peter Morgan

Choosing forgiveness opens the door of your heart and makes way for a miracle in your life. Victoria Osteen

If I say, 'I forgive you,' I have implicitly said you have done something wrong to me. But what forgiveness is at its heart is both saying that justice has been violated and not letting that violation count against the offender. Miroslav Volf

A mistake is always forgivable, rarely excusable and always unacceptable. Robert Fripp

I learned a long time ago that some people would rather die than forgive. It's a strange truth, but forgiveness is a painful and difficult process. Sue Monk Kidd

The things the writers have me doing on 'Suburgatory' are insane. I think they think it's easier to ask for forgiveness than permission. Cheryl Hines

The stupid neither forgive nor forget; the naive forgive and forget; the wise forgive but do not forget. Thomas Szasz

'Caught' is a novel of forgiveness, and the past and the present - who should be and who shouldn't be forgiven. None of my books are ever just about thrills, or it won't work. Harlan Coben

Without forgiveness, there's no future. Desmond Tutu

There is no revenge so complete as forgiveness. Josh Billings

Eid is here! On the first day, it is a custom for all Malaysian Muslims to ask for forgiveness from our parents. We kiss their hands and wish them 'Selamat Hari Raya' or 'Eid Mubarak.' 'Maaf Zahir dan Batin' means 'to apologize in spirit and actions.' Yuna

Forgiveness is God's command. Martin Luther

One forgives to the degree that one loves. Francois de La Rochefoucauld

I am 100% in the camp that says forgiveness is mostly about the forgiver. Hillary Clinton

If you look at everything I do - even in 'Boo!' there's a message, and it's always 'faith, family, forgiveness.' That's the greatest gift that I've been given. I can get a message to the very people I grew up with, the millions who love what I do. Tyler Perry

Life is an adventure in forgiveness. Norman Cousins

A winner rebukes and forgives; a loser is too timid to rebuke and too petty to forgive. Sydney J. Harris

Beware of the man who does not return your blow: he neither forgives you nor allows you to forgive yourself. George Bernard Shaw

God's forgiveness is the only thing. And, well, I take full responsibility for the adultery. It was my fault and, you know, no matter what went on, the man has to take responsibility; and I do. Jim Bakker

I think we learn the most from imperfect relationships - things like forgiveness and compassion. Andrea Thompson

The most important thing that I learned in growing up is that forgiveness is something that, when you do it, you free yourself to move on. Tyler Perry

I did once seriously think of embracing the Christian faith. The gentle figure of Christ, so full of forgiveness that he taught his followers not to retaliate when abused or struck, but to turn the other cheek - I thought it was a beautiful example of the perfect man. Mahatma Gandhi


We need Grace and forgiveness. Pope Benedict XVI

Confront the dark parts of yourself, and work to banish them with illumination and forgiveness. Your willingness to wrestle with your demons will cause your angels to sing. August Wilson

I find forgiveness to be really healthy. Ben Affleck

And you know, when you've experienced grace and you feel like you've been forgiven, you're a lot more forgiving of other people. You're a lot more gracious to others. Rick Warren

People will constantly bring up my past and throw it in my face, but the Creator of the Universe doesn't. If you ask forgiveness from Him, then it's gone forever. The past is never brought up to shame you or degrade you. Shawn Michaels

I think the first step is to understand that forgiveness does not exonerate the perpetrator. Forgiveness liberates the victim. It's a gift you give yourself. T. D. Jakes

We get a lot of raps as Americans for being small-minded, but in fact, when you really drill down to the core of the culture, there's an enormous amount of compassion and forgiveness and support. Bartlett Sher

If you are bitter, you are like a dry leaf that you can just squash, and you can get blown away by the wind. There is much more wisdom in forgiveness. Vusi Mahlasela

My desire is to be a forgiving, non-judgmental person. Janine Turner

Nothing inspires forgiveness quite like revenge. Scott Adams

Never forget the three powerful resources you always have available to you: love, prayer, and forgiveness. H. Jackson Brown, Jr.


I believe forgiveness is the best form of love in any relationship. It takes a strong person to say they're sorry and an even stronger person to forgive. Yolanda Hadid

It's always best to ask for forgiveness if you feel that you made a mistake. And again, asking for forgiveness is not just saying the words 'I'm sorry'; it is also offering what you need to do. Grace Poe

God created us for love, for union, for forgiveness and compassion and, yet, that has not been our storyline. That has not been our history. Richard Rohr

To sin offers repentance and forgiveness; not to sin offers only punishment. Jose Bergamin

Forgiveness is the giving, and so the receiving, of life. George MacDonald

I believe in the forgiveness of sin and the redemption of ignorance. Adlai E. Stevenson

The remedy for life's broken pieces is not classes, workshops or books. Don't try to heal the broken pieces. Just forgive. Iyanla Vanzant

The practice of forgiveness is our most important contribution to the healing of the world. Marianne Williamson

China's idea of fair trade is government subsidies of its textile and apparel exports to the United States, currency manipulation, and forgiveness of loans by its government banks. Virginia Foxx

I would say that playing this character has caused me to think about a lot of things. He's always questioning himself and trying to get back to something he lost touch with and trying to find forgiveness. Everybody struggles with these things to some extent in their life. Lee Tergesen


When you forgive, you in no way change the past - but you sure do change the future. Bernard Meltzer

I pray for forgiveness. For help and guidance. To be a better person. For the health of my family. For the world to be a better place. Tyson Fury

My desire is to stand up and brush myself off when I make mistakes and ask for forgiveness. Janine Turner

Forgiveness is the final form of love. Reinhold Niebuhr

All major religious traditions carry basically the same message, that is love, compassion and forgiveness the important thing is they should be part of our daily lives. Dalai Lama

Forgiveness is a virtue of the brave. Indira Gandhi

Yes, one can repent of moral transgression. The miracle of forgiveness is real, and true repentance is accepted of the Lord. Ezra Taft Benson

Sin penetrates to the heart, darkens and hardens it until it extinguishes the light of belief. Each sin has a path that leads to unbelief. Unless that sin is swiftly obliterated by seeking God's forgiveness, it grows from a worm into a snake that gnaws at the heart. Said Nursi

Since I began my practice of Forgiveness Therapy, it's now instinctual for me to choose to eat like I love myself - instead of eating like I wanted to punish myself. Plus I've not only lost weight, I've lost the anger and anxiety I was feeling, and so I feel happier and calmer within. Karen Salmansohn

There is freedom in forgiveness, and it's not that hard to do once you get into the habit. Dana Perino


You can't legislate into existence an act of forgiveness and a true confession; those are mysteries of the human heart, and they occur between one individual and another individual, not a panel of judges sitting asking questions, trying to test your truth. Athol Fugard

Forgiveness isn't just a blessing you deliver to another human being. Forgiveness is also a gift you give yourself. Robin S. Sharma

Do you ever achieve total forgiveness after screwing up? Lee Unkrich

One of the secrets of a long and fruitful life is to forgive everybody everything everynight before you go to bed. Bernard Baruch

And as I ask for your forgiveness, I also ask for your support to keep all things in perspective and keep all things in proportion. The good of nine years versus the bad. John Rowland

Satan tries to counterfeit the work of God, and by doing this, he may deceive many. To make us lose hope, feel miserable like himself, and believe that we are beyond forgiveness, Satan might even misuse words from the scriptures that emphasize the justice of God in order to imply that there is no mercy. Dieter F. Uchtdorf

No amount of debt restructuring, even debt forgiveness, will help the Greeks achieve real prosperity. What they need is not short-term relief but, rather, a long-term cure. Edmund Phelps

Forgiveness is for yourself because it frees you. It lets you out of that prison you put yourself in. Louise L. Hay

Sins cannot be undone, only forgiven. Igor Stravinsky


When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle. Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me. Emo Philips

It's only through Christ that we can take full advantage of God's mercy and forgiveness through repentance in Jesus' name. Monica Johnson

I would say the hierarchy has made terrible errors in judgment and it has to seek forgiveness by its members. William P. Leahy

Forgive yourself for your faults and your mistakes and move on. Les Brown

In the Bible it says they asked Jesus how many times you should forgive, and he said 70 times 7. Well, I want you all to know that I'm keeping a chart. Hillary Clinton

I learned a long time ago that some people would rather die than forgive. It's a strange truth, but forgiveness is a painful and difficult process. It's not something that happens overnight. It's an evolution of the heart. Sue Monk Kidd

We have to look at loan forgiveness to incentivise young people to pursue degrees in areas where we know we need help. Elizabeth Esty

God pardons like a mother, who kisses the offense into everlasting forgiveness. Henry Ward Beecher

The only thing I've settled in my mind is that I want to forgive, and forgiveness comes with forgetting. Ingrid Betancourt

If I owe Smith ten dollars and God forgives me, that doesn't pay Smith. Robert Green Ingersoll


These subsidies from four European governments, which include aircraft launch assistance, capital injections, debt forgiveness, have enabled Airbus to develop and range market airliners well below cost. Norm Dicks

I think everything worked out the way it was supposed to. Mark's happier. I'm sober. There are still phone calls to be made, people I need to say something to. But everyone from Creed who I've offended or hurt, I ask for their forgiveness. Scott Stapp

Many people have trouble with forgiveness because they have been taught it is a singular act to be completed in one sitting. That is not so. Forgiveness has many layers, many seasons. Clarissa Pinkola Estes

You've just got to have a sense of respect for the person you have children with. Anger doesn't help anybody. Ultimately you have to say forgiveness is important, and honoring what you had together is important. But it's easy to say and harder to do. Nicole Kidman

Christians - whether as a priest, a nun, a minister, whatever - have just been stereotyped to death. You try to be a model of kindness and love and forgiveness to all those around you, because you have received kindness and love and forgiveness from God through Christ. That's what Christianity is. Patricia Heaton

The ineffable joy of forgiving and being forgiven forms an ecstasy that might well arouse the envy of the gods. Elbert Hubbard

Forgiveness is a very personal and intimate thing. Forgiveness is not something that you can speak for others because it includes not only your desire and will, your reflection and intellect, but also your emotions. Ingrid Betancourt

Forgotten is forgiven. F. Scott Fitzgerald

What is forgiven is usually well remembered. Louis Dudek

The gospel of Jesus Christ encompasses much more than avoiding, overcoming, and being cleansed from sin and the bad influences in our lives; it also essentially entails doing good, being good, and becoming better. Repenting of our sins and seeking forgiveness are spiritually necessary, and we must always do so. David A. Bednar

There is no forgiveness in nature. Ugo Betti

Man has two great spiritual needs. One is for forgiveness. The other is for goodness. Billy Graham

The power of forgiveness is huge; it is really big, and it can save this world. Immaculee Ilibagiza

Life is life. You have to learn how to forgive people and how to gain forgiveness for yourself. Benjamin Clementine

Forgiveness is the key to action and freedom. Hannah Arendt

Inner peace can be reached only when we practice forgiveness. Forgiveness is letting go of the past, and is therefore the means for correcting our misperceptions. Gerald Jampolsky


Forgive many things in others; nothing in yourself. Ausonius

Selfishness must always be forgiven you know, because there is no hope of a cure. Jane Austen

Apology is often the first step in correcting a wrong. Having moved for a position of saying 'I don't need forgiveness,' Mr. Trump is now taking a second look at past behaviors, things that he's said and done that he regrets. While he is not asking for forgiveness for being human, he is admitting that he's made mistakes and humbly making apologies. Alveda King

The fact is there is forgiveness for those who seek God. And I believe in the power of redemption. Rick Perry

Forgiveness is an act of the will, and the will can function regardless of the temperature of the heart. Corrie Ten Boom

I realized that it's all really one, that John Lennon was correct. We utilize the music to bring down the walls of Berlin, to bring up the force of compassion and forgiveness and kindness between Palestines, Hebrews. Bring down the walls here in San Diego, Tijuana, Cuba. Carlos Santana

Forgiveness to the injured does belong; but they ne'er pardon who have done wrong. John Dryden

The heart of a mother is a deep abyss at the bottom of which you will always find forgiveness. Honore de Balzac

One can't relive one's life. Forgiveness is not what's difficult; one's always too ready to forgive. And it does no good, that's obvious. Louis-Ferdinand Celine

Forgiveness is not always easy. At times, it feels more painful than the wound we suffered, to forgive the one that inflicted it. And yet, there is no peace without forgiveness. Marianne Williamson

God's forgiveness allows us to be honest with ourselves. We recognize our imperfections, admit our failures, and plead to God for clemency. Jonathan Sacks

Never does the human soul appear so strong as when it foregoes revenge and dares to forgive an injury. Edwin Hubbel Chapin

We cannot embrace God's forgiveness if we are so busy clinging to past wounds and nursing old grudges. T. D. Jakes

Forgiveness really is so misunderstood, as well as the power it can release in an individual. Jennifer O'Neill

You can't forgive without loving. And I don't mean sentimentality. I don't mean mush. I mean having enough courage to stand up and say, 'I forgive. I'm finished with it.' Maya Angelou

I believe in forgiveness, I believe in second chances, and I believe we should find a way to restore the Second Amendment rights to people who are qualified and have shown themselves qualified to have those rights restored to them. Matt Bevin

How unhappy is he who cannot forgive himself. Publilius Syrus


If only I wasn't an atheist, I could get away with anything. You'd just ask for forgiveness and then you'd be forgiven. It sounds much better than having to live with guilt. Keira Knightley

For me, forgiveness and compassion are always linked: how do we hold people accountable for wrongdoing and yet at the same time remain in touch with their humanity enough to believe in their capacity to be transformed? bell hooks

We'd do better to follow the admonition of Jesus about loving our neighbours. People in the U.S. are capable of forgiveness and willing to see one another's point of view, but when matters become politicised, we're less able to do that. Kent Haruf

Forgiveness is the economy of the heart... forgiveness saves the expense of anger, the cost of hatred, the waste of spirits. Hannah More

Anger ventilated often hurries towards forgiveness; anger concealed often hardens into revenge. Edward G. Bulwer-Lytton

We win by tenderness. We conquer by forgiveness. Frederick William Robertson

I do not bring forgiveness with me, nor forgetfulness. The only ones who can forgive are dead; the living have no right to forget. Chaim Herzog

Anger begets more anger, and forgiveness and love lead to more forgiveness and love. Mahavira

I love discussing social issues, but I'm not interested in scare tactics. I believe there is a way to bring awareness in tandem with forgiveness and love. Brie Larson

It is often easier to ask for forgiveness than to ask for permission. Grace Hopper

When there's that forgiveness present and compassion, it just helps you live so much easier. Craig T. Nelson

The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is the attribute of the strong. Mahatma Gandhi

To me, forgiveness is the cornerstone of healing. Sylvia Fraser

What is forgiveness? An emotion? A coping mechanism? An element of deepest faith? A way for the heart and soul to combat the type of hate, anger, rage and a thirst for revenge that could ultimately consume a person? All of those and more? Mike Barnicle

The lesson is that you can still make mistakes and be forgiven. Robert Downey, Jr.

Sweet mercy is nobility's true badge. William Shakespeare


Jesus' own witness of sacrificial love and forgiveness, and his work to heal the sick and care for those in need, represent God's ways and vision for us. Adam Hamilton

You will know that forgiveness has begun when you recall those who hurt you and feel the power to wish them well. Lewis B. Smedes

I desired to become a Christian, and prayed earnestly for the forgiveness of my sins. I felt a peace of mind resulting, and loved every one, feeling desirous that all should have their sins forgiven, and love Jesus as I did. Ellen G. White

I like second chances. I've given people second chances. You have fall-outs with friends, and forgiveness is a great thing to have. It's not easy to forgive. I definitely don't forget, but I do forgive. Odette Annable

I clearly have done things that were wrong. I've clearly had to seek God's forgiveness. Newt Gingrich

Forgiveness is indifference. Forgiveness is impossible while love lasts. Mary Boykin Chesnut

I believe in forgiveness; I believe in trying to work with people. John Lewis

It's far easier to forgive an enemy after you've got even with him. Olin Miller

I was born into a Christian family and brought up in a Lutheran church. My faith has been the center point of my life, really, since I was a child, but at 16 years of age, I fully surrendered my life over to Christ. At that point, as a teenager, I began to grasp the concept of Christ's true love and forgiveness. Michele Bachmann

Forgive, son; men are men; they needs must err. Euripides

I thank the Lord for the great principle of repentance and forgiveness. Gordon B. Hinckley

Acceptance and tolerance and forgiveness, those are life-altering lessons. Jessica Lange

What if we strove for compassion, for mercy, for forgiveness? And what if we did this for everybody, including people who have harmed others? James Forman, Jr.

I never forgive, but I always forget. Arthur Balfour

Forgiveness is that subtle thread that binds both love and friendship. Without forgiveness, you may not even have a child one day. George Foreman

The spirit of forgiveness should prevail, and there should be tolerance and understanding among all political parties for us to move forward. Roy Bennett

Forgiveness is not a feeling - it's a decision we make because we want to do what's right before God. It's a quality decision that won't be easy and it may take time to get through the process, depending on the severity of the offense. Joyce Meyer

If you don't believe God has forgiven you, you are actually saying that God needs to do more for your forgiveness, and that Jesus' sacrifice was not enough. Jud Wilhite

The Gospel offers forgiveness for the past, new life for the present, and hope for the future. John Sentamu

I can have peace of mind only when I forgive rather than judge. Gerald Jampolsky

Mistakes are always forgivable, if one has the courage to admit them. Bruce Lee


Once people are not here physically, the spiritual remains. We still connect, we can communicate, we can give and receive love and forgiveness. There is love after someone dies. Sandra Cisneros

Forgive those who have hurt you. Les Brown

Our history is an inevitable component of our being. One thing only can release us from the grip of our history. That one thing is forgiveness. Lewis B. Smedes

Sin and forgiveness and falling and getting back up and losing the pearl of great price in the couch cushions but then finding it again, and again, and again? Those are the stumbling steps to becoming Real, the only script that's really worth following in this world or the one that's coming. Brennan Manning

As we know, forgiveness of oneself is the hardest of all the forgivenesses. Joan Baez

Forgiveness is not a one-time thing that happened the day you received Christ. It is an everyday thing, for the rest of your life. Joyce Meyer

When I am able to resist the temptation to judge others, I can see them as teachers of forgiveness in my life, reminding me that I can only have peace of mind when I forgive rather than judge. Gerald Jampolsky

It seems to me like Mother Nature's mercy and forgiveness have run dry, as we ceaselessly abuse her and take her for granted in order for us to continue our addiction to using fossil fuels. I've gotta say, I don't blame her. Not one bit. Gloria Reuben

Holding on to anger, resentment and hurt only gives you tense muscles, a headache and a sore jaw from clenching your teeth. Forgiveness gives you back the laughter and the lightness in your life. Joan Lunden

Prejudice is sinful. All blood flows red. And the most harmful and foolish kind of prejudice is prejudice against yourself. Every woman is your sister, and every woman needs her sisters. So try to give other women the courtesy of your compassion, respect, and forgiveness. Love yourself despite - and because of - your flaws. Jewell Parker Rhodes

Only the brave know how to forgive... a coward never forgave; it is not in his nature. Laurence Sterne

I think it is important that we rebuild an atmosphere of forgiveness and civility in every aspect of our lives. T. D. Jakes

I believe there are more films that involve love and forgiveness than violence, but they often seem fake and are almost embarrassing to watch. Park Chan-wook

When you make a mistake and the devil comes and tells you 'You're no good,' you don't have to take on the guilt and condemnation he wants to put on you. No! You can immediately confess your mistake to God, thank Him for forgiving you and cleansing you with the blood of Jesus, and move forward in the victory of His grace and forgiveness. Joyce Meyer


Forgive, forget. Bear with the faults of others as you would have them bear with yours. Phillips Brooks

God makes it really clear that society and civilization is really held together by the glue of families... When a man and a woman come together and say 'I do,' they are committing for a lifetime to love each other and to model what love is and what forgiveness is and what joy is to their kids. Kirk Cameron

A prayer that must have a cannon behind it better never be uttered. Forgiveness ought not to go in partnership with shot and shell. Love need not carry knives and revolvers. Robert Green Ingersoll

We cannot go alone to God. We belong to His Mystical Body, the Church; by even our most secret sins, if they be grievous, we have injured the Mystical Body of Jesus Christ and must ask forgiveness of His Mystical Body, too. Vincent McNabb

We must develop and maintain the capacity to forgive. He who is devoid of the power to forgive is devoid of the power to love. There is some good in the worst of us and some evil in the best of us. When we discover this, we are less prone to hate our enemies. Martin Luther King, Jr.

It's so important in marriage to let the little things go and let the pride go. Forgiveness is so important, and communication. Don't major on the minors. Kimberly Schlapman

Just knowing you don't have the answers is a recipe for humility, openness, acceptance, forgiveness, and an eagerness to learn - and those are all good things. Dick Van Dyke

Reversing your treatment of the man you have wronged is better than asking his forgiveness. Elbert Hubbard

Without forgiveness life is governed by... an endless cycle of resentment and retaliation. Roberto Assagioli

Forgiveness isn't about condoning what has happened to you or someone else's actions against you. Jennifer O'Neill

I really do believe that God is love, one of deep affection and grace and forgiveness and inspiration. William P. Young

Forgiveness is the answer to the child's dream of a miracle by which what is broken is made whole again, what is soiled is made clean again. Dag Hammarskjold

I have to ask Allah's forgiveness and not get angry, because they come to me out of love, and it's not fitting that I should turn to them in hatred. Abdul Qadeer Khan

Knowing that you are completely forgiven destroys the power of sin in your life. Joseph Prince


I believe in Jesus Christ as my Lord and savior. I believe that Jesus died for my sins, and rose again, and that's my belief. I still don't know what 'Christian' means. I'm a follower of Christ, but I keep making a whole bunch of mistakes. And I thank God for forgiveness. Sherri Shepherd

We often forgive those who bore us, but we cannot forgive those whom we bore. Francois de La Rochefoucauld

Because forgiveness is like this: a room can be dank because you have closed the windows, you've closed the curtains. But the sun is shining outside, and the air is fresh outside. In order to get that fresh air, you have to get up and open the window and draw the curtains apart. Desmond Tutu

I had the honor to meet Nelson Mandela, and I heard him explain his forgiveness of his captors of 27 years by saying hatred and bitterness is destructive - the power is in love and forgiveness. Dick Gephardt

It is never too late to strengthen the foundation of faith. There is always time. With faith in the Savior, you can repent and plead for forgiveness. There is someone you can forgive. There is someone you can thank. There is someone you can serve and lift. You can do it wherever you are and however alone and deserted you may feel. Henry B. Eyring

Let us not listen to those who think we ought to be angry with our enemies, and who believe this to be great and manly. Nothing is so praiseworthy, nothing so clearly shows a great and noble soul, as clemency and readiness to forgive. Marcus Tullius Cicero

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Before Nelson Mandela was arrested in 1962, he was an angry, relatively young man. He founded the ANC's military wing. When he was released, he surprised everyone because he was talking about reconciliation and forgiveness and not about revenge. Desmond Tutu

A wonderful quality about America is that we love redemption stories. We're quick to lash out and assign blame, but we also draw from deep reservoirs of forgiveness. Judy Smith

Forgiveness is like faith. You have to keep reviving it. Mason Cooley

Thank you, God, for this good life and forgive us if we do not love it enough. Garrison Keillor

We believe that the farm should be building 'forgiveness' into the ecosystem. What does that mean? That a more forgiving ecosystem is one that can better handle drought, flood, disease, pestilence. Joel Salatin

It is in pardoning that we are pardoned. Francis of Assisi

Every year during their High Holy Days, the Jewish community reminds us all of our need for repentance and forgiveness. Billy Graham


It is very east to forgive others their mistakes; it takes more grit and gumption to forgive them for having witnessed your own. Jessamyn West

Genuine forgiveness does not deny anger but faces it head-on. Alice Miller

I'm not trying to convert the entire nation of Israel and the entire nation of Palestine to Christianity. But at least if you can educate them about the ideology of love, the ideology of forgiveness, the ideology of grace. Those principles are great regardless, but we can't deny they came from Christianity as well. Mosab Hassan Yousef

To confer dignity, forgive. To express contempt, forget. Mason Cooley

The things that interest me are less to do with perhaps finding myself and more to do with surviving and mercy and forgiveness. John Cameron Mitchell

I read everything, but generally more fact than fiction - especially autobiographies and biographies. I've read 'Long Walk to Freedom' by Nelson Mandela at least twice on holiday. Every time, I'm totally awed by his vision, strength and forgiveness. I feel honoured to have got to know him and his wonderful wife Graca over the years. Richard Branson

The assurance of Heaven is never given to the person. And that's why at the core of the Christian faith is the grace of God. If there's one word I would grab from all of that, it's forgiveness - that you can be forgiven. I can be forgiven, and it is of the grace of God. But once you understand that, I think the ramifications are worldwide. Ravi Zacharias

There would be no need for love if perfection were possible. Love arises from our imperfection, from our being different and always in need of the forgiveness, encouragement and that missing half of ourselves that we are searching for, as the Greek myth tells us, in order to complete ourselves. Eugene Kennedy

Each life is unique. But for all, repentance will surely include passing through the portal of humble prayer. Our Father in Heaven can allow us to feel fully the conviction of our sins. He knows the depths of our remorse. He can then direct what we must do to qualify for forgiveness. Henry B. Eyring

My parents did their best - that earns a lot of forgiveness. But they say children grow up in spite of their parents, and I think I did. Larry Drake

If Jesus Christ was who He claimed to be, and He did die on a cross at a point of time in history, then, for all history past and all history future it is relevant because that is the very focal point for forgiveness and redemption. Josh McDowell

We are not forgiven because we are good. We are forgiven because Christ bore our sins. Joseph Prince

Before we can forgive one another, we have to understand one another. Emma Goldman

When you are happy you can forgive a great deal. Princess Diana


Paula Deen is a human being. She deserves forgiveness and a chance at redemption as much as anyone else. America is about redemption. Don Lemon

To forgive is to set a prisoner free and discover that the prisoner was you. Lewis B. Smedes

The characteristics of an authentically empowered personality are humbleness, clarity, forgiveness and love. Gary Zukav

New kinds of heroics need to be celebrated - like love, thoughtfulness, forgiveness, diplomacy - or we're not going to get there. Patty Jenkins

Asking for forgiveness is just one of the most painful kind of experiences. Nick Nolte

The blood of Christ covers all of our sins, but each of us must do personal business with God in order to experience his forgiveness. Lewis B. Smedes

Hate is self-destructive. If you hate somebody, you're not hurting the person you hate. You're hurting yourself. And that's a healing. Actually, it's a real healing, forgiveness. Louis Zamperini

We think that forgiveness is weakness, but it's absolutely not; it takes a very strong person to forgive. T. D. Jakes

Sometimes I see myself fine, sometimes I need a witness. And I like the whole truth, but there are nights I only need forgiveness. Dar Williams

I love my children. That will never change. I have prayed to them for forgiveness and hope that they will forgive me. I never meant to hurt them!! Susan Smith

As we hone the ability to let go of distraction, to begin again without rancor or judgment, we are deepening forgiveness and compassion for ourselves. And in life, we find we might make a mistake, and more easily begin again, or stray from our chosen course and begin again. Sharon Salzberg

How does one know if she has forgiven? You tend to feel sorrow over the circumstance instead of rage, you tend to feel sorry for the person rather than angry with him. You tend to have nothing left to say about it all. Clarissa Pinkola Estes

The glory of Christianity is to conquer by forgiveness. William Blake

Forgive, O Lord, my little jokes on Thee, and I'll forgive Thy great big joke on me. Robert Frost

I've been interested in the idea of forgiveness and the necessity of it. I think of it as the most critical piece of any relationship, whether that be business, or romantic, or familial. We fail each other. We make mistakes. If we contract to go on after those mistakes, forgiveness is involved. Forgiveness is required. Bill Clegg

I am making amends and seeking forgiveness. My only hope is that some good can come out of my situation. Jayson Blair

The principle that certain sins should not receive the Church's testimony of forgiveness was probably no novelty at all, but had been applied in various churches; perhaps, however, with no strict consistency. Robert Rainy

One important theme is the extent to which one can ever correct an error, especially outside any frame of religious forgiveness. All of us have done something we regret - how we manage to remove that from our consciencee, or whether that's even possible, interested me. Ian Mcewan


Forgiveness in any aspect of something that is complex is the greatest tool. Kate Hudson

It's not an easy journey, to get to a place where you forgive people. But it is such a powerful place, because it frees you. Tyler Perry

Through faith in the Lord Jesus alone can we obtain forgiveness of our sins, and be at peace with God; but, believing in Jesus, we become, through this very faith, the children of God; have God as our Father, and may come to Him for all the temporal and spiritual blessings which we need. George Muller

I believe in forgiveness. Pam Bondi

Forgive your enemies, but never forget their names. John F. Kennedy

We only learn at the speed of pain, and we don't have others in our lives without forgiveness. Bill Clegg

To err is human; to forgive, divine. Alexander Pope

Forgiveness says you are given another chance to make a new beginning. Desmond Tutu

I invite everyone to chose forgiveness rather than division, teamwork over personal ambition. Jean-Francois Cope

To understand somebody else as a human being, I think, is about as close to real forgiveness as one can get. David Small

It is always the case that when the Christian looks back, he is looking at the forgiveness of sins. Karl Barth

In the Lord's Prayer, Jesus assumes that asking for forgiveness would be a daily occurrence, as would praying that we might be delivered from evil and led not into temptation. Kevin DeYoung

Forgiveness is a big part of - especially post-civil rights movement - is a big part of African-American Christianity, and I wasn't raised within the Christian church; I wasn't raised within any church. Ta-Nehisi Coates

One of the things that Dostoevsky talks about is that no character is too high to fall and no character is too low to be redeemed. 'Crime and Punishment' began with a person going out and consciously becoming a cold-blooded murderer, and it took 800 pages and an epilogue before the person finally asked for forgiveness. Jeffrey Bell

Many times, the decisions we make affect and hurt your closest friends and family the most. I have a lot of regrets in that regard. But God has forgiven me, which I am very thankful for. It has enabled me to forgive myself and move forward one day at a time. Lex Luger

Every effort should be made to help build the new democratic nation with reconciliation and forgiveness, for the sake of Egypt and not for the benefit of a party or a group. Ahmed Zewail

On a level of simple personal survival, understanding and forgiveness are crucial... whether in an intimate personal relationship or on a global level. Edward Albert

Forgiveness is about empowering yourself, rather than empowering your past. T. D. Jakes

God forgives those who invent what they need. Lillian Hellman

Forgiveness is important in families, especially when there are so many secrets that need to be healed - for the most part, every family's got them. Tyler Perry


We all know in our hearts that forgiveness is the right thing; it's just a matter of being inspired to reach that place. Nazanin Boniadi

God may forgive your sins, but your nervous system won't. Alfred Korzybski

The schools would fail through their silence, the Church through its forgiveness, and the home through the denial and silence of the parents. The new generation has to hear what the older generation refuses to tell it. Simon Wiesenthal

Forgiveness means letting go of the past. Gerald Jampolsky

Children begin by loving their parents; after a time they judge them; rarely, if ever, do they forgive them. Oscar Wilde

I think there are different levels of forgiveness. Catherine Oxenberg

Forgiveness is hard for me, man. It is for most American-Western males. It's a sign of weakness. Art Alexakis

Things happen for a reason, and the only thing you can do is at night time get on your knees and ask God for forgiveness for anything that you did that you didn't feel was right. Floyd Mayweather, Jr.

Our lack of forgiveness makes us hate, and our lack of compassion makes us hard-hearted. Pride in our hearts makes us resentful and keeps our memory in a constant whirlwind of passion and self-pity. Mother Angelica

As a practicing Catholic all my life, my faith and the church are never far from my mind. The lessons I learned in the church have structured the way I've approached my life and my career. They were lessons of grace, kindness, forgiveness, and compassion. Donna Brazile

Forgiveness takes time. It is the last step of the grieving process. Elin Nordegren

In Christ we see a maturity of love that flowers in self-sacrifice and forgiveness; a maturity of power that never swerves from the ideal of service; a maturity of goodness that overcomes every temptation, and, of course, we see the ultimate victory of life over death itself. Vincent Nichols

God forgive you, but I never can. Elizabeth I

I like cast iron coated with enamel for longevity and forgiveness if I happen to take my eyes off the prize while pouring Chianti. Mario Batali

It is easier to forgive an enemy than to forgive a friend. William Blake

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense. Robert Frost

I discipline churchgoers with godly lessons and sharp words if they do not change their ways. My goal is to open their hearts so that they seek forgiveness. William Brewster

There are curveballs that are thrown at you, and you just have to get over it and forgive... if you believe you're perfect, and you don't believe in forgiveness, you're not meant to be married. Kendra Wilkinson

It's said in Hollywood that you should always forgive your enemies - because you never know when you'll have to work with them. Lana Turner

I have sinned against You, my Lord, and I would ask that your precious blood would wash and cleanse every stain until it is in the seas of God's forgiveness. Jimmy Swaggart


In 2006, 2 years ago, I made a very serious mistake. A mistake that I am responsible for and no one else. In 2006, I told Elizabeth about the mistake, asked her for her forgiveness, asked God for his forgiveness. John Edwards

For the millions of Americans, like my family, who believe that there is a creator God who can be known personally, Christmas is a celebration of Jesus' offer of love and forgiveness for all people. James Lankford

Well, I've never left my faith - but have I made a lot of mistakes? But was I fortunate that I was brought up in that Pentecostal church, where I heard about God's love and God's forgiveness. Billy Ray Cyrus

He that cannot forgive others breaks the bridge over which he must pass himself; for every man has need to be forgiven. Thomas Fuller

God will forgive me. It's his job. Heinrich Heine

If there are occasions when my grape turned into a raisin and my joy bell lost its resonance, please forgive me. Charge it to my head and not to my heart. Jesse Jackson

'Ida' is about humanity, about guilt and forgiveness. It's not a film that deals with an issue as such. It's more universal. Pawel Pawlikowski

9/11 revealed that those about to die do not seem afraid or plead for forgiveness for their sins, if they think about them at all. They all have one thing in mind - those they love - and they all do the same thing: They call them up - spouses, family or friends - to tell them they love them. Eugene Kennedy

Forgiveness is a gift you give yourself. Suzanne Somers

Certainly people make mistakes in their life. I'm no different, I've made mistakes. When people mess up, we forgive them. When I mess up, I ask for forgiveness. Michele Bachmann

He that cannot forgive others, breaks the bridge over which he himself must pass if he would ever reach heaven; for everyone has need to be forgiven. George Herbert

In the evening of life we shall be judged on love, and not one of us is going to come off very well, and were it not for my absolute faith in the loving forgiveness of my Lord I could not call on him to come. Madeleine L'Engle

If you're truthful with yourself and others, forgiveness clears the path to righteousness, to grace. All we want is grace. We all want that light in our lives. And we can only get that when we go deep into truth. Corbin Bernsen

Forgiveness is the needle that knows how to mend. Jewel

Humanity is never so beautiful as when praying for forgiveness, or else forgiving another. Jean Paul

On the Day of Atonement, Jews are commanded to seek forgiveness from the people we have hurt. Laura Schlessinger


The people who did you wrong or who didn't quite know how to show up, you forgive them. And forgiving them allows you to forgive yourself too. Jane Fonda

It's toughest to forgive ourselves. So it's probably best to start with other people. It's almost like peeling an onion. Layer by layer, forgiving others, you really do get to the point where you can forgive yourself. Patty Duke

People have to render judgment. In my case, I've said upfront openly, I've made mistakes at times. I've had to go to God for forgiveness. I've had to seek reconciliation. But I'm also a 68-year-old grandfather, and I think people have to measure who I am now and whether I'm a person they can trust. Newt Gingrich

Most of us need time to work through pain and loss. We can find all manner of reasons for postponing forgiveness. One of these reasons is waiting for the wrongdoers to repent before we forgive them. Yet such a delay causes us to forfeit the peace and happiness that could be ours. James E. Faust

Any story about revenge is ultimately a story about forgiveness, redemption, or the futility of revenge. Nick Wechsler

No person is perfect. I haven't, thank God, had any infidelity issues. But you can't say what you won't ever do. And you can't say that you won't have forgiveness in your heart if there were to be an issue like that. Tasha Smith

When a deep injury is done us, we never recover until we forgive. Alan Paton

The full benefit of forgiveness of sin through the Savior's Atonement begins with repentance and baptism and then expands upon receiving the Holy Ghost. James E. Faust

Your heart has to be prepared ahead of time through faith and prayer and grace and mercy and love and forgiveness so you can keep your heart open in hell, when hell happens. Richard Rohr

Forgiveness is a funny thing. It warms the heart and cools the sting. William Arthur Ward

If there is something to pardon in everything, there is also something to condemn. Friedrich Nietzsche

I ask the people of Connecticut for their forgiveness, I should have paid more attention to people around me and people that I trusted but I am sorry for my actions and take full responsibility. John Rowland

The forgiveness that comes of patient interpretation seems impossible when those nearest to your heart are threatened. Giles Foden

Soon I realized that if beauty equalled forgiveness, I was never going to be forgiven. Kevyn Aucoin

Here is the amazing thing about Easter; the Resurrection Sunday for Christians is this, that Christ in the dying moments on the cross gives us the greatest illustration of forgiveness possible. T. D. Jakes

By their innocence and goodness, by their boundless capacity for forgiveness, and by the sheer power of their faith and hope, children redeem their parents, bringing out their best selves. Cass Sunstein

Forgiveness is a way of opening up the doors again and moving forward, whether it's a personal life or a national life. Hillary Clinton

If we can find forgiveness in our hearts for those who have caused us hurt and injury, we will rise to a higher level of self-esteem and well-being. James E. Faust

As forces of hate in this country and worldwide try to pull Muslims and Christians apart, we are in desperate need of a unifying force that can bridge the widening gap of interfaith misunderstanding and mistrust. That force could be the message of love, peace, and forgiveness taught by Jesus and accepted by followers of both faiths. Ibrahim Hooper

And the only thing to do with a sin is to confess, do penance and then, after some kind of decent interval, ask for forgiveness. Joseph J. Ellis

It's one of the greatest gifts you can give yourself, to forgive. Forgive everybody. Maya Angelou


I think when you're happy, emotions are right near the top - mine definitely are. I cry easily, I laugh easily, I lose my temper easily... and I beg for forgiveness easily. Nell Carter

I place an enormous premium on loyalty. If someone betrays me, I can forgive them rationally, but emotionally I have found it impossible to do so. Richard E. Grant

The bitterest tears shed over graves are for words left unsaid and deeds left undone. Harriet Beecher Stowe

I believe forgiveness is possible for everybody, for everything, but I'm a Buddhist. Alan Ball

Forgiveness is the remission of sins. For it is by this that what has been lost, and was found, is saved from being lost again. Saint Augustine

Without white South Africa realizing what it had done - and on the basis of that realization having the courage to ask for forgiveness - there can really be no significant movement. Athol Fugard

It's important to recognize that forgiveness is more than mere words; it's a heart attitude that induces a spiritual transformation. Victoria Osteen

Forgiveness for one's self is the only way we can keep going through life and give ourselves the best chance at being the best people we can be. Yolanda Hadid

I believe the Scriptures teach that there's a literal heaven and a literal hell, just like Jesus said. And without forgiveness of sins that, yeah, the place of punishment is called hell. Kirk Cameron

I can forgive, but I cannot forget, is only another way of saying, I will not forgive. Forgiveness ought to be like a cancelled note - torn in two, and burned up, so that it never can be shown against one. Henry Ward Beecher

The ability to forgive is one of man's greatest achievements. Bryant H. McGill

I cannot stand that whole game of confession, that is: Here I have sinned, now I'm confessing my sins, and describing my path of sin and then in the act of confession I beg for your forgiveness and redemption. Aleksandar Hemon

I shall be an autocrat: that's my trade. And the good Lord will forgive me: that's his. Catherine the Great

Love is an act of endless forgiveness, a tender look which becomes a habit. Peter Ustinov

The heart of who I am as a person and as a man is forgiveness, after forgiving my father for a lot of things that were done when I was child. Tyler Perry

The Dalai Lama's entire being is about peace and harmony, forgiveness and self-discipline. Those are qualities to be admired. I am really looking forward to meeting His Holiness. Joe Nichols

Murder is unique in that it abolishes the party it injures, so that society has to take the place of the victim and on his behalf demand atonement or grant forgiveness; it is the one crime in which society has a direct interest. W. H. Auden

Can you really forgive if you can't forget? Sarah Jessica Parker

I deepen my experience of God through prayer, meditation, and forgiveness. Marianne Williamson

Not only were the Jewish people beloved, but God himself had taken pains to let them know it. Could there be any clearer sign that he continued to believe in their potential, even without the Temple, to achieve forgiveness and ultimately merit the Temple's rebuilding? Meir Soloveichik

Well, of course I think people can be forgiven. But our justice system is not set up to dispense forgiveness. You can go to the local priest for that. Nancy Grace

Always forgive your enemies - nothing annoys them so much. Oscar Wilde

If there are dreams about a beautiful South Africa, there are also roads that lead to their goal. Two of these roads could be named Goodness and Forgiveness. Nelson Mandela

I did a lot of things that I regretted and I certainly paid for my mistakes. You have to go and ask for forgiveness and it wasn't until I really started doing good and doing right, by other people as well as myself, that I really started to feel that guilt go away. So I don't have a problem going to sleep at night. Mark Wahlberg

Forgiveness is the fragrance that the violet sheds on the heel that has crushed it. Mark Twain

To understand is to forgive, even oneself. Alexander Chase

Many promising reconciliations have broken down because while both parties come prepared to forgive, neither party come prepared to be forgiven. Charles Williams

Love in the real world means saying you're sorry 10 times a day. Kathie Lee Gifford

I think it's important to remember that Christianity was based in love and tolerance and forgiveness and acceptance. Kristin Chenoweth

There is no love without forgiveness, and there is no forgiveness without love. Bryant H. McGill

Amnesty is the forgiveness of something. Amnesty is anything that says, 'Do it illegally, it will be cheaper and easier.' Marco Rubio

Forgiveness is not to give the other person peace. Forgiveness is for you. Take that opportunity. Mackenzie Phillips

I'm currently in an interesting correspondence with a nun about forgiveness. Julian Clary